Bad Ntfs write Performance with ShortName creation enabled.

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:15 PM
Hi, i use DiskUtils 0.8 to copy a Windows7 Image from the Wim-File to a new VHD with a NTFS Partition. Without ShortName Creation it takes six Minutes but then the ShortName Creation on the target Partition is Enabled it takes more then thirteen. The Copy-Process takes 116034 Cpu-Samples then Enabled and only 46421 then Disabled.
Coordinator
Apr 28, 2010 at 7:25 AM

Hi,

There will be an overhead to creating short file names, it's worse if there are large numbers of files with similar names.

In your case, I think there's a different problem with DiscUtils.  The WIM support doesn't expose short names stored in WIM files right now.  I'll create a work item to add short file name support for WIM files.

When that's available, you probably want to disable automatic short file name creation (which will be quite slow) and instead create the short names from the ones stored in the WIM file.

Cheers,

Ken

Coordinator
Apr 28, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I've uploaded a preview release of version 0.9 that includes support for accessing the short file names containing in WIM files: http://discutils.codeplex.com/releases/view/44240

Cheers,

Ken

May 3, 2010 at 12:54 PM
Thanks, i changed my code to use the shortnames and hardlinks from the wim.