full support of VHDX

May 1, 2012 at 7:06 PM

When ximately do you plan to have full support of low level VHDX? Thanks!

Coordinator
May 1, 2012 at 10:16 PM

It will depend how much time I get to spend on it - hopefully within a few weeks.

The 'log' functionality in VHDX looks a bit tricky, since it needs a good sample of VHDXs that weren't closed cleanly to test properly.  I've also spotted something in a sample VHDX that doesn't seem to match the spec (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/pl-PL/os_specifications/thread/e5a1ff92-f584-42aa-bdbc-7db52e278035), so it may take a while to understand what's happing there.

Ken

May 3, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Ken, - thanks for the info!

May 4, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Yes - VHDX support would be great! We are working on cople of tools where we certainly would like to use your diskutil lib with VHDX support. Thanks!

May 22, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Hi Ken,

Looks like MS guys resolved the problem with payload BAT entry states.

Would appreciate if you could fully support VHDX in your amazing tool.

It is vital for our Server 2012 projects.

Thanks!

Andrew

Coordinator
May 23, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Thanks - hadn't spotted they had responded.

I haven't had much time to work on it recently, but will aim to get back to it in the next few weeks.

Cheers,

Ken

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Dear Ken,

Sorry to bug you. Have you had a chance to look into full VHDX support?

Is there any way we can help facilitate this?  - we know you are very busy...

We really need it for V2V product and couple other things.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

5nine.com

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Hi Ken,

Windows Server 2012 is on its way to RTM and VHDX is gonna to be the main format for Hyper-V 3.0 VMs.

Any news on full VHDX support in your amazing tool?

Regards,

Andrew

Coordinator
Sep 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Hi folks,

This is clearly taking a lot longer than I'd thought or hoped.  I am still working on it, and have just submitted changes that enable modification of existing VHDX files.

The ability to create new VHDX files is still TBD, as is using the VHDX log mechanism to protect against corruption of metadata from power failures, etc.

I'd treat it as experimental, but would welcome folks trying out the functionality that is available and giving any feedback.

Thanks,

Ken

Sep 10, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Ken,

Thanks a lot for the partial VHDX modification support functionality.

We have started using it and I will report about any problems found.

Regards,

Andrew

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:54 AM
festive_ken wrote:

Hi folks,

This is clearly taking a lot longer than I'd thought or hoped.  I am still working on it, and have just submitted changes that enable modification of existing VHDX files.

The ability to create new VHDX files is still TBD, as is using the VHDX log mechanism to protect against corruption of metadata from power failures, etc.

I'd treat it as experimental, but would welcome folks trying out the functionality that is available and giving any feedback.

Thanks,

Ken

Ken,

Just want ask you about creation of new VHDX file - do you have plan to finish it soon?

Thanks,

Yuriy.