Good way to store physical files to VHD

May 14, 2010 at 2:55 PM
Edited May 14, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Hi,

can someone give me a hint what is a good way to copy files from physical harddrive to a .vhd file? (Maybe I have missed an example.)

What I need is a file including contents (for sure), but also attributes and security settings. (Actually a clone of the file.)

I tried this so far:

DiscUtils.Ntfs.NtfsFileSystem fs =
                                    DiscUtils.Ntfs.NtfsFileSystem.Format(pvi[iPartition].Open(),
                                    sPartName[iPartition]);

string sFileName = @"Test.txt";

FileAttributes fileAttributes = File.GetAttributes(sFileName);
                                System.Security.AccessControl.FileSecurity fileSecurity = File.GetAccessControl(sFileName);
                                byte[] fileContent = File.ReadAllBytes(sFileName);

using (Stream stream = fs.OpenFile(sFileName, FileMode.Create))
                                {
                                    stream.Write(fileContent, 0, fileContent.GetLength(0));
                                    stream.Close();
                                    fs.SetAttributes(sFileName, fileAttributes);
                                    //fs.SetSecurity(sFileName, fileSecurity.);
                                }

My idea was to Create file in VHD, copy all contents. Afterwards read all attributes/security and set them.

The right way?

Regards,

Jangoman